Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Music Time!

Ah Story/Music time at the library.. I remember going to read books with Miss. Bee and sit in the little cheese house at our local library as a kid.. So, when our friends Emily & Sam ( who is 2 months older than Andy) asked if we'd want to go to Tues. morning Music Time, I thought "sure!"
10am isn't that hard to get to as I remembered alot of the classes started at 8 am.. when we're still asleep. So. we made plans to go this week.
We woke up at 9:30.. late for us and realized music time started in 30 minutes! Mike juggled the kids ready while I got ready & we raced out the door, Andy still bleary eyed clutching his bear & insisting he wear his little straw cowboy hat.
Luckily, the library is only a mile or 2 away, so we get there just as its starting & take a seat in the circle of young kids & moms.. I sit on a block & plop Andy on my lap, everyone smiles & Mr.Jim keeps singing his tune.. Oh Andy..my shy little boy.. his face goes white & he squeezes his eyes shut as tight as they can go, as if he could possibly will himself to be somewhere else.. And sits like that.... the entire session..
Emily & Sam showed up a minute or 2 after we arrived & Andy opened his eyes to peek at Sam, but as soon as Mr. Jim turned the book to the side of the room where we sat, Andy closed his peepers as tight as could be!
I have to say.. I actually got really sad sitting there.. Andy looks about 4 years old, hes so big.. And I feel sometimes, like people assume he is much older & wonder why Mike or I still carry him, or why he doesn't talk much, etc. Hes not even 2 yet, and he's shy, and a loud singing man first thing in the morning would scare me too, to be quite honest!
So, we moved a bit further back in the room & with 5 minutes left, Andy stood up, right after everyone else sat down from shaking themselves along to a song & watched from a small distance as music time finished up. All the kids excitedly took a turn using a pick to strum the guitar, to which Andy squeezed his eyes once more, when he was asked if he wanted to try.
"Maybe next week!" I said, and we went to play a puzzle with Sam.
Once Mr. Jim left & Andy found the large cushioned train caboose he could stare out a window & look at cars with he loved the place, he almost didn't want to go home.. So the goal is, next week.. Music time with eyes open for at least HALF of the 30 minutes..and the week after that, we might aim high, and even shake ourselves a little bit during the "shake shake" song!

No comments: