Monday, September 1, 2008

Well this just makes me sad....


"Thanks to a coup by local vegetarians, the king of the jungle will be stepping down from his place on the menu of the South Philadelphia Tap Room.After a six-week reign, SPTR chef Michael Zulli has decided to stop dishing up lion after receiving numerous letters critical of his decision to serve feline. "Why do we need to eat lion?" says Christine Stover, one of the chef's critics. "It seems like such a ridiculous indulgence." This comes despite the fact that the restaurant procures the meat from a federally licensed farm in Illinois that raises the African cats for human consumption.Zulli plans to continue serving other exotic meats including ostrich, boar and bear. "I'm not doing game as a gimmick," he maintains. "I like exposing people to ingredients and flavors that are interesting and unique."




Now dont get me wrong..I am an avid meat eater..I could quite possibly live on sausage/bacon/ham/steak if need be..but I the first time I ever cooked a whole chicken, I nearly thre up in the sink as I rinsed it off & ealised..THIS was where the head was..I could see if clucking right before my eyes!!!
I hate the thought of eating animals,but I really like meat..I'm a sucker for a nice medium premium steak ( although I dont know why, my parents are well done'ers all the way) There is something just fabulous about a nice piece of good steak cooked just right so the middle is still nice & pink & juicy.. But then I remember..its a cow.. and that does make me sad..
Unfortunately..not sad enough to stop eating them..What a hypocrite I am huh??
But come on...LION???
That just feels wrong to even READ!!!!! What do you think????

1 comment:

Pamela said...

so we had this talk last night at dinner. They grilled up some brats and as I grabbed one I asked if it was bambi and they said yes, so i put it back. I got hell for the fact I will eat a cow and not a deer. I could easily be a vegaterian, but I do love my burgers and steak. The only meat I will eat is beef, chicken, pork and turkey. Lion would be an absolute no. My mom's SO said I need to have a talk with Ted Nuget. lol